The Luxembourg National Library (BnL) took the initiative of establishing a network linking a large number of Luxembourg’s libraries in 1985.
The bibnet.lu network currently has a total of 83 members, which include academic/university and research libraries, school libraries, public and specialized libraries.
The bibnet.lu network is coordinated by the Luxembourg National Library, which ensures the maintenance and development of the IT and management tools that are used in common by the network members. These tasks are carried out in close cooperation with the CTIE (Centre des technologies de l’Information de l’Etat [Luxembourg State Information Technology Centre]).
The joint network catalogue combines the resources of all the member libraries and makes them easily accessible to the public. The members contribute to the joint catalogue, mainly using its cataloging and circulation functions, as well as other related tools and services. Direct access to the joint catalogue and its contents is made available via the www.a-z.lu search-tool (including contents of the eluxemburgensia.lu digital library and the Consortium Luxembourg’s consortium.lu).
Services offered by the bibnet.lu library network
The bibnet.lu team:
- Assists and supports new network members especially during the different phases of the membership application process
- Provides and updates a webpage/blog with online documentation and resources (www.bibnet.lu)
- Visits its member libraries for in situ assistance (acquisition, display of their resources, barcode equipment and labels etc.)
- Supervises and monitors the cataloging and indexing performed by network librarians
- Organises workshops and training at different levels for network librarians/staff
- Implements new services for its members in cooperation with the IT, cataloguing and indexing departments of the National Library.
Martine Mathay, Christel Kayser, Jackie Dupont,
Florence Buhler, Jacqueline Rippert, Annick Stein, Vicky Pelkes
For further questions or requests please contact:
Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg
Division du réseau des bibliothèques luxembourgeoises bibnet.lu
37D avenue John F. Kennedy